Writing for Scottish Forestry
Advertising in Scottish Forestry
Scottish Forestry is part-funded through advertising. Good rates are available through Connect Communications our publisher.
History of the journal
Our early broad international outlook has characterised many activities of the Society and the content of our journal, "Scottish Forestry" from its start right up to the present. During the early years of the Society’s existence, though nominally ‘Scottish’, its journals carried many contributions from foresters from England and Wales. Other speakers and writers described forestry practices in continental Europe.
Dr Cleghorn, president in 1873 and 1874, and again in 1884, before his retirement, had worked for the Indian Forest Service as Conservator and close associate of Sir Dietrich Brandis, the first Director General of Forests in India. Other eminent forests with Indian experience addressed the Society, including Sir William Schlich, then Professor at the Cooper’s Hill College of Engineering and later, founder of the Chair of Forestry at Oxford University.
In the inaugural lecture of the ‘School of Forestry’ at Edinburgh in 1889, Dr William Somerville differentiated between forestry as including formal management of land for sustained timber production and arboriculture as relating to more general management of individual trees. The Society’s journal reflected this range of interest and accepted contributions on any aspect of tree and woodland management that might interest woodland owners and managers. Scottish Forestry continues in this tradition.
On receipt of our Royal Charter to the Society in 1887 we became the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society. Transactions of the Scottish Arboricultural Society first appeared in 1858. From 1887, the series title became Transactions of the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society. In 1930, the Society changed its name to the Royal Scottish Forestry Society. The journal was renamed the Scottish Forestry Journal but the volume numbers continued uninterrupted.
The journal title Scottish Forestry dates from 1947, the A5 format of its predecessor being retained. The present A4 format was introduced in 1992, partly to take advantage of improving printing technology, partly to conform to international library standards, and partly to present a more contemporary image of the Society.